Here’s a video that has obviously been online for some time, but it’s one I have only just seen. If you haven’t seen it yet then you are in for a real treat.
Legendary guitarist Steve Vai shares his tips on “How to be Successful” during a private session at the Guitar Center. After the video I will write what I consider to be some of Steve’s main points.
Note: The following points were made by Steve, but please forgive me, I haven’t quoted him word for word, although I have tried to keep the core concepts in tact.
- The first thing is to identify what it is that you really want. Whatever it is that you really want, is the thing that is going to come out.
- Do the thing that your most comfortable with. Focus on your strengths and cultivate them, ignore your weaknesses.
- Our level of achievement is a reflection of how well we can focus on our goals. The only thing holding you back is your thinking.
- Visualize yourself playing the way you want to be able to play, imagine what your playing sounds like, see and hear yourself playing elegantly, beautifully, and confidently. The more you can crystallize yourself playing the way you want to play, the sooner you will begin to experience your vision.
- Pick a time to practice that is yours, and dedicate that time solely for practicing your guitar. Turn of the cell phone, television, internet, so you can sit and focus on your goal.
- Whenever you get discouraged go back to the big picture, your vision, the thing that energizes you and fills you with excitement.
- There is no work involved if your in love with your goal and vision, because it is all a joy.
- Break it down, piece by piece by piece, play one bar at a time and stick at it. You will become the music.
Some great tips there, pointers that can be applied to every area of living a successful life.