This article is a follow up of the original article I wrote about my custom ordered guitar from RnB Custom Guitars.
Since Brian was not going to refund my money, or at least pay half the freight costs in getting me a replacement guitar, I was kinda forced to make, what I consider, all of necessary repairs to get the guitar to a condition that I would consider acceptable for a brand new custom built guitar.
If you haven’t read my original article or seen the pics on my custom built RnB Guitar, I would suggest you have a look, especially if your thinking about getting a guitar from Big B Smiles.
The first thing I wanted to do was repaint the body. I couldn’t stand the finish around the neck pocket, so here are some pics of the finished result. The body was resprayed with nitrocellulose lacquer by a spray painter who works in the same block of factories as my business.
I completely prepped and sanded the body myself before having it painted. The grit sizes I used to prep the body were #180, #240, #400, #600 and #1200, using wet and dry paper, I sanded the body without using any water as I didn’t want to risk any swelling in the wood.
The big arc that was indented into the body, which was caused by removing the bent tremolo arm, took a bit of sanding out, but I managed to remove it with pretty good results.
When refitting the pick guard, I thought I would replace the random sized and various looking pick guard screws. I also replaced the pickup adjustment screws, which were also in various lengths and appearance.
The tremolo block was also replaced with a genuine Callaham USA Tremolo Block, which was generously given to me by a friend, who I guess took pity on me. The bridge that came with the guitar was damaged on arrival, more details can be seen on the other post.
…and finally, the string tree.
To successfully move the string tree, I had to plug the original screw hole with a toothpick and some pva glue and then try to color match the end of the plug with some of my kids coloring in textas, which is a little dodgy I know, but the results were surprisingly good, I also had to get a new nut cut, to allow for the new positioning of the string tree and fix up the random string spacing.
All up the repair cost me a few hours in labor and just under $100.00 in paint, sandpaper, screws and a little beer money for the guy who did the spray painting.
I have to be honest, I am pretty happy with the end result, Big B did use some good parts, it was just the slap-hazard way that the guitar was built that left me a little… hmmm, whats a nice word for…. I think I will leave that one out, but I am sure you get my drift.
But at the end of the day I probably should of saved my money and looked at getting one of these Custom Shop Strats from eBay…
Used Fender Custom Shop 91 set neck thru project Strat Stratocaster flame ultra
US $576.66 (28 Bids)
End Date: Sunday May-19-2013 21:02:50 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list